- Station Upgrades: We are working with Amtrak and community stakeholders in Essex Junction and Brattleboro to identify needed safety and ADA accessibility improvements to the train platforms & waiting rooms, and secure resources to make these happen.
- Volunteer Station Host Program: We are working with Essex Junction officials, rail advocates and other community stakeholders to organize a volunteer station host program to work in tandem with Amtrak station caretakers to greet rail passengers and visitors, guide them to local transit, businesses and services, and facilitate safe boarding. Long-term, we plan to ‘roll out’ this pilot to other Amtrak stations throughout Vermont. Click here to learn more.
- Local food on Amtrak trains: We are working with Amtrak and state agencies to identify possibilities for improved local food offerings aboard Amtrak’s Ethan Allen Express and Vermonter We want trains to offer more Vermont food, beverages & snacks. Click here if you would like to know more.
- Better signage for train stations: We are working with state officials and Amtrak to make sure visitors and residents can find Vermont’s train stations from nearby interstate highway exits, and from local roads with clear signage from all directions to stations.
- Promoting economic development at rail-served properties: We have mapped properties suitable for industrial and commercial development along active rail lines in Vermont. We work with local officials and developers to encourage appropriate redevelopment of under-utilized trackside properties to foster job growth. Click here to request maps of rail-served properties in your area.
VRAN partners with many organizations to advance its work. We are always looking for new ways to move the needle forward on these projects. We also welcome your ideas on how to improve rail services in Vermont.
Please join us! Click here to request information about how to become a VRAN partner or business member.